Saturday, September 1, 2018

5 THINGS TO DO WHEN YOUR HAVING A DOWN DAY

As I have discussed in my "Not so Typical About Me" post , I struggled for many years of my life with anxiety and depression and still do to this day. Along the years of feeling like I was drowning and not being able to come up for air, I learned a couple of simple steps to get myself out of bed when I have a bad day and I begin to feel somewhat like myself again. 

I now share with you 5 of the simplest things to do when you’re having a bad day. 

Xoxo, 

Mischele

1. GET OUT OF BED 

I often would and still do wake up earlier than my alarm tells me to and shake in bed because I have 100 things on my mind already for the day. I frequently ask myself, "how am I going to get the laundry done, get the 5 projects done for my boss, go food shopping, clean the shower?" and the list goes on. Instead of dwelling over your day to come, just GET OUT OF BED! You are your least productive self when lying in bed with your anxiety building up about the day. When your body is in a constant state of fear, your body isn't getting any additional rest by lying in bed. The first step of getting rid of your anxiety for the day is to first GET UP!

2. TAKE A SHOWER

The next step to lift your mood is to take a shower. I always feel like a shower relaxes me and washes away the toxins and the bad thoughts I was feeling. A shower soothes me and gives me a sense of warmth and balance. For me, a warm shower works best; it works my tense muscles and allows me to clear any unwanted pressure. I like to stay in the shower for about 20 minutes as the shower is what truly centers me for the rest of the day.

3. GET SOME CAFFEINE

Caffeine has always helped raise my spirits and increases my senses of euphoria and energy. Not only does caffeine raise my spirits but it also gets me moving and out of the house which is the best thing for someone who feels alone and overwhelmed. It doesn’t hurt that I absolutely love the taste of coffee.

4. GET ALL DOLLED UP 

This is one of the most important steps to this process. For me, getting dressed to look my best always makes for a happier, brighter me. When I get dressed and put on my favorite pieces I am the most confident version of myself. It lets me forget all of my deepest worries and lets me be free.

5. RELAX AND REMIND YOURSELF THAT TODAY IS JUST ONE DAY IN AN ENTIRE LIFETIME

The last and final step is that we must always remember to take a deep breath, step back, and realize we have a whole lifetime ahead of us. Remind yourself that tomorrow is a new day. We can forget our worries from yesterday and set aside tomorrows fears and just be free. If you find yourself in a puddle of worry and are experiencing down thoughts, remember that there are people who love you and support you and all you need to do is reach out for a helping hand. Stay strong and always keep your head held high.


*** Disclaimer- I do not claim to be nor am I a medical professional in the mental health or wellness field of any kind. I solemnly speak from experience only and the teachings of loved ones and medical professionals who have helped me along the way. These steps may not work for everyone and are not 100% effective.






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Labels

Blogger Template Created by pipdig