Friday, February 22, 2019

My recent thrift finds- making someones garbage your treasure

I have been a hardcore thrift-er ever since high school. When I was living at home, it was harder to go to thrift shops since at the time people still viewed thrifting as "dirty". I often had to lie about what I was bringing home and say "that my friends gave me clothing" or that "I bought the items in a boutique", which was never the case. When I got to college, if you knew me well enough my favorite place to go downtown from campus was the Salvo (that's what everyone in Oneonta called the Salvation Army Store). I think on a good week I would go twice a week downtown and hit all of the thrift stores looking for a find.

I actually got my first modeling gig when a local online thrift store owner bumped into me in the
Salvo and offered me a job. Since then I head to Crossroads and Buffalo Exchange every now and then, but I always look for any work trip or travel adventure Alec and I take around the country to hit local thrift shops. Some of the best pieces I have are from thrift shops in Las Vegas, Nevada, Monterey, California and Hunter Valley, Baltimore. I have noticed that thrift stores especially Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads have more of your fast fashion brands and even designer brands so you aren't necessarily finding a "vintage piece" but, I am still able to find a good variety everywhere I go! Below are some of my most recent thrift finds and what I outfitted with them to create the perfect look.

Look #1
This vest/sweater I picked up at a Salvation Army store in Downtown Las Vegas. When I saw it I thought it was the perfect color and length to wear layered with a turtleneck. A cinched belted waist is so big this season and I especially love this one because its navy, is real suede, has the western detailing and is from my boyfriends moms closet (from the 80's). I paired this look with my black sueded pants from Zara, a thrifted scarf around my neck, my patent leather kitten heels and my favorite tan hat. Overall this looks makes for a great chic-western vibe and can take you from the office to your dinner date.

Look #2
This Club Monaco open back turtleneck sweater was a steal last winter from buffalo exchange, that I had to bring it back this winter. The skirt was given to me by @lisamarieprang (not exactly thrifted but not purchased in a store). I absolutely love the color blocking and prints on this skirt and the different length to it. I paired this with my white cowboy boots from Buffalo Exchange. Again I added my favorite hat to add a western twist.

Look #3
 I'm really into mixing prints this season, and these prints compliment each other nicely. The blazer was a must when I saw it at Crossroads. I just thought the print and the gold metal buttons would go so well with my wardrobe. I paired it with a chunky tan turtleneck that I actually got at a #SipandSwap event hosted by @cryscastles this summer. To add another print into the mix, I grabbed my army moto jeans from Zara and my Superstars to add a fun athliesure twist to the look. Again, I cant get away from my tan hat so I added that on to the look at the last minute. I honestly love this look and felt super confident in it.

Look #4
This look is completely thrifted except for the shoes. I love the way the skirt pattern goes so well with the red polka dot top. The pleather jacket really ties it all together. I cant leave home without a hat these days and my Franco Sarto two tone heels were a perfect way to seal the deal on this look. I actually wore this outfit during NYFW and felt extremely classy in it.

Look#5
Last but certainly not least is this fun animal print look. The sweater is the same sweater as in look #3 and the boots are the same as in look #2. I paired this with a leopard print wrap skirt from Shein and my famous tan hat. I actually styled this look two ways; one with no hat and my hair in a scrunchie with my brown Celine inspired bag, and the other with my hair down and my hat on. I love that this look has so many elements that are on trend right now (white boots, leopard print, chunky sweaters).

XOXO,
Michelle
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Labels

Blogger Template Created by pipdig